måndag 14 juli 2008

Surfs up!

Time is moving fast now and I donät realy write as often as before but there is no need to. I have gone into a daily routine and only write about the special events.

As i formulate these words i am sitting in a surfshack close to the beach on Taiwans north east coast. i am looking out over the dark sea, the big turtle shaped island and the lights from the fishing boats. Except from the sunburn, everything is good.

Me and Kristina started this little adventure right after class on friday. By train we got to this little surf shop in the small town of Dasi. By complete coincidence there was a festival nearby this very weekend so we spent the evening listening to music and drinking beer at Ho hai yan rock festival down on the beach.

After a night in a bed at the surf shop we awoke to a lack of breakfast. This problem was quickly solved by a nice lady and instant noodles. The day was spent in the water surfing. The waves were small but for a beginner like me, this was OK because it made it easier to cathc them. For a while i just sat on my board looking out over the the lush green mountains that almost go down to the water, with the turquise sea and big forrest clad rock, called turtle island, behind me. I contemplated how lucky i am to be on a tropical island with real tropical fruit, cheap high-tech computers and, you can surf.

I got a bunch of good runs before going back to the shack and me and Kristina ate dinner at the fish market down in the harbour. I have never had such good swuid or shrimp before. When we came back from dinner so9me people lit up a barbeque and I ended up drinking beer and chatting with some nice people until late.

........

Despite a vicious sunburn and little sores from the boards rough surface i sent the whole sunday surfing. Admittedly it was a bit painful with the salt in the sores but it was worth it. When you catch a good wave there is no pain, only joy. When I came out of the water though, there was pain, I felt like I was no longer human - I was Sunburn. Me and kristina hopped on a train to the beautiful city Keelung where we spent a few hours exploring the nightmarket. We ended the evening with Kristina going to Taipei and me heading home to Hsinchu.

2 kommentarer:

PaPe sa...

Det låter fantastiskt- inte solbrännan förstås som kanske är lite självförvållat- men att surfa i förhoppningsvis kristallklart vatten med massor av snäckor. Fast är det sandstrand och en del vågor, så brukar det inte vara snorklingsparadis utan mer lite småtjockt. Är det surfbart året om?

PaPe sa...

Glömde senast att råga om du ännu fått något kinesiskt namn? Kanske för tidigt