torsdag 25 december 2008

If you ever go to Hong Kong you will probably spend most of your time in Kowloon or Hong kOng Island but there are other Islands too. One is the Island with the airport and here I find Ngong Ping cable car that stretches away into the distant, mist covered mountains. For a whopping 96 dollars you get a return ticket for this ride, which I find to be completely worht it. I get on the cable car and immediately go wild with the camera, snapping of shots like a hero in a b ad action movie. The light is too bright and it is to o misty, I just can not get a good shot of the cable cars going into the mist at the mountain top with me in it. Some times it would be good to have someone there with you for such things. My frantic camera action almost ruins the story like feeling I get from seeing the cable cars pass into the mist. It feels like the cable car is an ancient, steam powered, construction and I am a lone traveler using it as transportation into the misty mountains for an adventure. The final blow comes with the tacky little paper slip telling me to smile as I near the top as there will be a plastic monkey there to take my picture. As I pass over it, the landscape change changes character, the light green of the jungle becomes darker then turns gray and brown and barren, crossed by a few small trails. 




As I get top the top, sure enough, there is the monkey taking my picture and as soon as I exit, I come into the gift shop and a place selling photos. Next is a borderline tacky, Disney type Chinese village so full of shops and restaurants there is room for nothing else. I exit the village and head for the main goal of the journey up here – that is not considering the journey as a goal in it self – a giant Buddha statue. I walk up to the top and just stand there for a while looking out. The vegetation here is really different, much more spruce and pine and such that you would normally associate with more northern places like Europe. I find it interesting that, just an hour or so by public transport from Central, there is a place like this, where one is so far removed from the stress of city life. Its calm, its cool and there is nothing (not counting the Disney village) except endless nature. 



Inga kommentarer: